August 2020 – For the neck I am using kohekohe timber, which is also known as New Zealand mahogany. It is a nice timber to work with and relatively light with nice grain and a slight reddish colour. The headstock should allow for the tuners to line up with the strings so they go in a straight line through the nut. I liked the look of the Gretsch Corvette headstock so redesigned that for a 3 x 3 side by side tuner solution.
The neck blank was sawn from a solid piece of 3″x4″ kohekohe timber and has the headstock at an 11 degree angle. No photos of the blank.
September 2020 – The headstock needed a ‘veneer’ so I made some from rewarewa. The thinnest I could get to was 3mm with my sled thicknesser (which is too thick really).
I did not take any photos of the fretboard sanding to a 12″ radius, cutting the fret slots and putting the dot markers in. So just some photos of the neck with all that done except for neck shaping and inserting the frets.
October 2020 – Making the logo and gluing it into the headstock.
Finished shaping of the neck. Profile is quite chunky.